Whether you are trying to lose 10 pounds or 100 it can seem like an impossible task. When things get difficult it is easy to lose focus and simply stop trying, thinking you have failed - again!
We've all heard that the best way to set goals is to write them down. As simple as this step seems, sometimes we overlook it.
If you have been looking at a blank piece of paper trying to figure out where to even start on your weight loss journey, I have some help for you. Listed below are 10 easy "first steps" that anyone can do. Start with #1 and work your way to #10.
Each step you complete will be a step closer to your goal of achieving your ideal weight. There's nothing stopping you now so get going and enjoy the journey to a better, healthier you.
1. Set realistic goals. Anyone who has ever set an unrealistic weight loss goal will tell you that not meeting your own expectations is the fastest way to fail at weight loss. You should plan to lose no more than 1-2 pounds per week. In general, people who set realistic goals will exceed it during at least the first few weeks. Exceeding your weight loss goals will give you something to get excited about, and keep the weight loss process positive.
2. Get support. When you make the decision to lose weight, enlist the help and support of your friends and family members. Having people around you who will encourage you through the process is a great way to start.
3. Learn to keep things in moderation. When your goal is to lose weight, remember the old saying...all things in moderation. By following this mantra with eating and working out, you will lose weight at a reasonable pace and feel good while doing it!
4. Join a program. Weight loss groups are popular for more than just their diet plans. They help people to form a community with other people who have the same goals. This extended support network is great for making weight loss more exciting - having someone with whom you can share your excitement. It is also a great way to talk through some of the issues that you might be experiencing with your weight loss program. Support is crucial when you are attempting to make major lifestyle changes.
5. Buy yourself a portable music player. Music is one of your biggest allies when trying to lose weight. Listening to music will make exercise time fly by and it can definitely improve your mood.
6. Get a buddy. Having a close friend or family member agree to lose weight with you is an excellent way to get the support you need. And it gives you someone that you can learn tips, swap recipes and try new exercises with. Losing weight with a friend is also good for people who need an understanding friend to talk things through with.
7. Choose your information sources wisely. If a friend or co-worker offers diet advice over a fast food burger and shake - you need to decide whether their advice is the right way to go. Instead find trusted sources of information such as your family doctor, a nutritionist, the trainer at your gym or even a reputable website. Finding someone who can answer questions when you have them can take a load off your mind and make you feel good that you're making informed decisions about your weight loss.
8. Dress for weight loss success: In order to start thinking thin, pay attention to what you are wearing. Overweight people tend to dress "bigger" than they actually are with baggy or oversized clothing. As you begin losing weight, consider some updates to your wardrobe that will accentuate your best features and help you to remember that losing weight will make you more attractive in your own eyes.
9. Remember, there are no guarantees with any weight loss plan. Keep in mind that there are no guarantees with any weight loss plan. While some people may see temporary benefits from fad dieting or other quick fixes, overall the best way to approach weight loss is by modifying your lifestyle and adopting a healthy way of living.
10. Stay off the scale. For best results, do not weigh yourself more than once a week at the most. Since a healthy goal consists of a plan to lose no more than 1-2 pounds per week, you may not see significant results until several weeks have passed. Spare yourself the disappointment of seeing little change and plan to weigh yourself as infrequently as possible.
There you have it - 10 easy steps to get started on your way to better health and fitness. Here's to your success and your great new life!